CIP-111 Space for Citizens IRL [SNAPSHOT PASSED]

CIP-111

SNAPSHOT LIVE: Snapshot

CIP-111 aims to find and lease a space for Citydao citizens to gather while experimenting with DAO primitives, public good and common partial ownership.

It is important if you like this proposal or you have something to add: We are encouraging you voice your opinion in the forum. Alternatively you can leave comments on the google doc that would also work. If you enjoy, please don’t forget to like the post to advance the idea to snapshot.

This proposal will authorise the project team to

1. Locate a selection of suitable spaces large enough to fit 50+ people
  2. Lease the space voted on by citizens
  3. Use Development budget to create an application that will accommodate a partial common ownership model

Where:

In a major US City, final city to be voted on by citizens (Using staked voting contract and Quadratic voting)

Why:

• Create somewhere for citizens to go and work, chill out, attend events
  • Create a potential revenue source for the DAO
  • Experiment with a partial common ownership model - that will likely be used for the big parcel
  • Create an event that will put CityDAO on the map by experimenting with new technologies
  • Governance over first IRL space
  • Quadratic voting to assign harberger taxes from Partial common ownership (Development of space[art, tech, events], back to citydao, another/larger space, etc.)

How:

1. Project Team puts together shortlist of spaces that meet the following criteria

-Central Location in a City
    - 5,000 Sqft + (aiming for 100 sqft/person or so - intentionally a bit dense)
    - Ready to move in
    - Max 1 year lease (Sub-lease at FSG)
    - Max Yearly Lease Cost: $150,000

2. Development for partial common ownership model begins

3. Shortlist voted on by citizens

4. Lease signed by project team on CityDAO behalf (probably legal sign)

5. Prep space for use (if necessary, including furniture)

6. Space grand opening

7. Partial common ownership/harberger taxes introduced

Who:

• Oisin Lyons (Lyons800) - Strategy and Project Management
  • Josh Rosenberg (Sorry to put your name on something else) - Real estate acquisition/lease, legal
  • Xyz - Development lead for partial common ownership model and booking
  • Abcd - Operations and Administration lead responsible for help with space, coordination and administration duties

##Requirements

Authorise $200k to lease the space and for any acquisition costs.

The budget decision will be through snapshot vote with a selection of spaces .

The team comp will be 10k for the team upon completion of the project.

Legal Fees etc. will be included in the space budget.

Notes;

Partial Common Ownership Model (Basic)

Bookings Dashboard on front end to organize the booking times of the space

Members can access up to 40 hours a week on one membership

NFT minted to create the membership each week (Soulbound token)

Citizens can use QV to decide use of the funds if staked in the space contract.

Users will stake their membership amount each week as well as a maximum bid for membership.

When staking, they must select their chosen space hours in booking system

If a user falls below the bid level, their max bid will trigger to bring them up to the next available spot above minimum.

When deadline 1 hits, users cannot change the max bid.

When deadline 2 hits, members will be selected and funds withdrawn from the contract. (Any funds left from max bid will be returned)

When funds are withdrawn, a soulbound membership token will be issued to the selected members.

These Soulbound tokens will be issued each week and can be used as governance in the space (as non-citizens)

Partial Common Ownership Model (Complex) - Optimization for max capacity

Partial Common Ownership Optimisation

Definitions

FSG (​​full service gross) - our “all-in” costs for operating in the space (minus our actual operation cost - FSG is just building related)

22 Likes

I’m hoping you mean “provide development budget”. But I don’t see anywhere where you are defining the budget for development. The reason I call this out is that Development doesn’t have much of a budget in the new guild scheme, so all projects like this should provide budget to build out systems and contracts.

1 Like

Yes apologies.

Meant to read : Use a development budget

@mdnatx

1 Like

I find a lease a good option as of now. Full support here!

1 Like

My hopes for this proposal are that:

• We start small and simple. No fancy quadratic / hargerger things yet - just a small space for Citizens in NYC / Wyoming / Denver or somewhere.
  • Start with a small space, say $3k per month and have a few citizens use it. Prove out its usefulness
  • Don’t optimize having a biz model that needs to serve the public, focus on something that is useful for citizens
3 Likes

I agree with scottfits, it’s a nice idea to have an IRL place but please keep it at our scale for now. In contrast, I think some local biz model is required in order to invest one time into it before it runs in auto pilote without having to drain the treasury.

Of course the place needs to serve Citizens first but I think it would be better for visibility and ambiance not being too shady.

1 Like
  1. Small and simple: Partial common ownership is not “fancy”. It has many major benefits for us and is relatively easy to create a basic model. It will also create a new style of ownership for shared spaces as apposed to just another Co-working space. It will also put citydao on the map and people will find something like this much more interesting.

2. $3k a month: I’m not sure where you have been looking at but I would love to see a space for 3k a month that fits more that 5 citizens in the cities mentioned.

Proving out its usefulness comment : we’re currently spending $300k + NFTs per quarter on virtually nothing so 150k for an experiment for a year is significantly more “useful”

Also the hype from a cooler project like this will be much more exciting.

1. This is not optimising for a business model that serves the public , it is a business model that will server for both public and citizens. What is more useful to citizens ? A. A place that can fit 5 people in a suburb. B. A place that can fit 60 people in the middle of a city ……
1 Like

What does “at our scale mean” .

$3k per month will get us a 5 person bungalow in a suburb. We have 10,000 citizens across multiple locations.

Of course if you go the 3k route, nobody will be interested and It will inherently just become an expense.

Would it not be more useful for us to have a place to fit 100 citizens ?

Any sort of space Citizens will have an advantage. Whether it be discount or first priority.

1 Like

I’ve read a bit of your stuff, I respect your opinion. Can you explain why a lease seems good? Just sounds like we’re paying a landlord for the privilege of having an exclusive clubhouse.

3 Likes

Sorry if this is somewhere, and I missed it, but what is a staked voting contract?

Great idea, fully support it. Could we also find a space that also has apartment complexes or other living arrangements that we can also lease? Just curious if you have found any areas

1 Like

Same. Totally respect you’re trying to get projects off the ground quickly. However, this feels to me like “rent an office” and I’m not sure how that serves us in the long term. We have already approved the baby parcel for a bit of experimentation at a much lower cost. It would be nice to have a place for citizens to visit but since people will be flying in they’d need somewhere to sleep…

Looking at it that way will definitely have that effect !

The baby parcel is a different kind of experimentation. A space aims to explore the realms of what is possible with community building and governance.

The space is not just a “rented office”, it can be built and curated in a way that facilitates the builders and innovators.

At the moment theres a lot of noise, with ideas flying around and nobody wanting to do anything. The IRL space aims to be an inclusive experiment with PCO and HTaxes while also sponsoring builders and innovators to come and work in a space full of resources for them to utilise.

This is a model that will start in Denver, if PCO pays off the lease, then we have just developed a new way to scale out a network of innovation hubs.

1. I expect to see the formula and economics of this space. Like examples of this new way of PCO & renting. But looks like those details will be decided after the CIP is passed, It is alone a work to be spent time on but people may want to see the economics so providing example numbers and income would be good. When you are working on a startup idea, there is a question to ask the people you pitch the idea to: Would you use this service? How much would you pay for this? (Comparing the prices for alternative spaces would be good too)

2. As mentioned before, the development budget needs to be included. Min. 25k$ IMO but we can work on this.

3. Providing additional amenities would be good as part of the membership. Like discount at a neighbor coffee shop and/or cabinet and printer facilities (Like this web3 space in Istanbul provide: http://lunapark.social/)

4. I think the most important things to turn ideas, in reality, are: excitement and leadership. Then people will join, and support and we can make it together.
    Are you still excited to work on this?

4 Likes

I’m able to help in PA. My lawyer wife is clerk of courts and office is across from the courthouse. PA has a brick and mortar required to make certain real estate deals. The Getting people to register a business that compromise of stake holders legal name and company name could be a real name or a fake name but verification. Earn $ creating NFT verification that can be used to sell and is a service we can sell with tax preparers. If you can help me with Lancaster PA I can also get The Rock Lititz and create a NFT service that does music tours tickets. T