CIP-136 CityDAO Governance Pause

Being 100% realistic, this is an event that will be on short notice in the US. Who do you think will attend? People in the US with lots of money to do something flexible like this. That won’t be a representative sample of CityDAO citizens.

2 Likes

It does not have to be ethdenver timeline, it also does not have to be IRL. Should be open to as much participation as possible, lets stop citing one minor consideration as a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I know I dropped this on twitter not that anyone read it - but negative people have a problem for every solution!

We have a governance and participation problem (possibly others) and the pause proposals simply aim to fix it by having us come together. What is your proposed solution?

The point of the large budget is to allow people who are not privileged to show up. The vast majority of the budget is dedicated to reimbursing travel expenses for those that do show up.

Given this is a DAO with ~4,000 members, its seems like an in person event where the DAO pays for members travel expenses is a great use of funds.

1 Like

Personally, you put up for vote some logical changes. For example, Alex’s (and yours and mine) idea to have quorum proportional to the treasury.

Now, if people want to get together to discuss the changes and figure that out. Of course, great idea. All I am against is spending a lot of money on doing so and assuming for sure that it will result in a great solution. It might, it might not.

The thing about governance is people are very ideological about it. It isn’t let’s get together and figure out the best way to do an NFT drop or something. With politics, some people won’t change their minds. So to me, it could work. It could backfire.

I posted this in the thread above, I am really pumping Greg, lol, but I seriously think he is bang on in this tweet. Web3 is about moving away from traditional politics essentially.

1 Like

Thats fair. I do know from having met many IRL, it is just such a better environment for collaboration, trust building, and alignment. Maybe its naïve but I do think getting together would serve to be a big catalyst for any solution!!

Totally agree, I mean, the main idea behind t0wn is there are big benefits to IRL.

ps. I genuinely apologize for being so negative about this. It is uncalled for. The idea of getting together and sorting out issues is noble. I guess I just saw the potential price tag and, being honest, the potential for more delays to projects and reacted. But really, the idea at its core is solid. It would be great to get together IRL and hash out these issues.

1 Like

I agree a IRL meetup to discuss governance in general is a noble and worthy pursuit. I too am worried about representation - who is able to show up. Also one you get more than like 8 people in a room together, I think the conversation would be difficult. In order to vote for this proposal I’d want to see a proposed agenda (or at least framework) and I also think we should hire a facilitator.

1 Like

CIP-135: CityDAO IRL + Virtual Governance Convention B4 ETH Denver, Feb ~21-23, 2023? Includes an agenda.

I think the conversation above was meant to be on the other CIP.

This one is important and not being discussed nearly enough. @simplepixellife pointed out to us that a lot of community members only vote in proposals in hopes of a future airdrop.

I think we should CIP (and formally announce) that there will never be airdrops at CityDAO.

3 Likes

Also, IRL can be local events in China/Turkey/Thailand/Texas/NYC…$15k for other IRL events in budget.

The proposal that this one is sneakily responding to also provides for a HUGE virtual component.

The in person component is intended to be entirely for inclusion and efficiency for those who want to attend.

There is no IRL budget intended in this proposal nor is there a structured “conference/working group” event being proposed.

The “Conference” in this proposal is purely an area in which people can present governance opinions that have been worked on and is not intended to be a workshop like environment.

Having anything more then this will be far to expensive to run and also very exclusive. Not everyone will have the luxury to be at ETHDenver, and the in-person part will likely have a poor turnout with no serious incentives.

1 Like

Disagree re 135 promoting exclusivity or lack of incentives.