People are increasingly connected to one another online, which has led to a rise in the number of virtual friendships. These friendships can bring people together from all over the world, regardless of geographical boundaries or cultural differences. As these virtual friendships grow and develop, they often lead to in-person meetings and real-world connections. This trend has become so prevalent that it is now common for people to travel to meet their internet friends or attend conferences with them.
CityDAO is about physical places. What we have is physical land and a globally distributed population. Considering physical land and property solely as assets on a balance sheet limits our appreciation of their true worth and they go underutilized. Spending more time in real places is an undercurrent of many CityDAO proposals.
Opposed to reddit, twitter, and other generalized platforms, DAOs tend to create more meaningful connections over time and we trend towards wanting to meet these new found friends in real places, whether it’s for a weekend getaway or a conference of shared interests.
If you subscribe to the concepts of the network state, increasing mobility of participants is essential for enhancing individual autonomy and bridging the gap from digital community to physical nodes.
Previous CityDAO Proposals that involve travel:
- Web3 House (passed snapshot, future accommodations)
- ETHDenver 2023 (passed snapshot, includes accommodations)
- CIP-131 Winter Meetup (approve majority, failed to pass quorum)
- t0wn (approved, involves coordinating travel for the project and for it’s use)
- CIP-123 Zeno’s Farm (approve majority, failed to pass quorum, trip still happened)
- CIP-61 Parcel 0 Visit (approve majority, passed snapshot, trip occurred)
- CIP-44 Formation of (physical) Events Guild (approved majority, passed snapshot)
Other Needs for travel coordination:
- Other DAOs that hold events and prioritize real gathers (cabin, fwb, poolsuite, links, etc)
- Crypto Conferences (ETHDenver, ETHLisbon, ETH[enter city name here], ConsenSys, etc)
- Informal social groups that form from all the above
- Getting people to commit to a trip (”are we really doing this?”)
- Confidence of being repaid for the person booking the accommodations. Reserving accommodations makes a trip ‘real’ and keeps the rest of the planning in motion.
- Organizing places to stay so that they’re visible to everyone (usually ends up in couple spreadsheets, links etc)
- Visibility of communal costs per individual
- Gated access for online groups/communities/DAOs
A web app that streamlines the process of planning and organizing accommodations for group trips, enabling internet friends to get together more often in real places and create memorable connections.
What does CityDAO get:
- A project funded by CityDAO created by Citizens, to be used by Citizens and future CityDAO projects.
- In the event the project continues past the MVP stage, Citizen NFTs could be used to grant premium services, which are yet to be decided.
- CityDAO Citizens will be the first asked to be volunteers and testers during development.
PM and Web Development (alex)
Web Development (tippi, …)
Postgres and Database policies (pending)
Smart Contract Research (pending)
Senior Full-stack Consultant/Security Review/Best Practices (pending)
Total: 9,800 USDC
Budget Breakdown: Budget Breakdown
Project Safe Address: (will be included before any snapshot vote)
What’s excluded from the scope of work for the MVP:
- Custom smart contracts and auditing (first is understanding all the requirements and if there are contracts already made that we could use)
Terms: Upon a successful snapshot vote in accordance with CityDAO governance, grant funds shall be delivered to the Project Safe Address identified in the Snapshot vote within 7 days from the CityDAO Treasury Address [0x60e7343205C9C88788a22C40030d35f9370d302D]. A W-9 and EIN for Tern (incorporated name subject to change) will be delivered to CityDAO for tax purposes following a successful vote and sufficient time for the incorporation process. Any funds sent to the project safe address is considered a grant. The project team makes no promises of profit to CityDAO and is not anticipating to distribute any future profits to CityDAO. Funds shall be spent to further the project and their expenditure is at the sole discretion of the project team, distribution may deviate from the description in this proposal. There is no contemplation of any Tern token.
Language may be revised between the original posting on Discourse and the final posting on Snapshot.
Updates to occur every two weeks and will be available in Tern’s notion, links to be shared in CityDAO’s discord channels. The project team will also do their best to be available to answer questions from the community on an ongoing basis. It’s anticipated that substantial completion of an MVP could be about 3 months time.
The project repo will be private while in production. If the project fails to advance to the next stage or the effort is ended, the github repo will be made public.
- The successful use for coordinating at least one trip among internet friends using the MVP.
The project animal is the Arctic Tern. These animals travel together the furthest of any bird, flying from pole to pole.