CIP 216 - Return Funds to Citizens II

Dear CityDAO Members,

I hope this message finds you well. We have actively participated in a very important voting process over the past week, and it is clear that CIP212 has received overwhelming support from all of us. Immediately after the official results are announced (15.05.2024), the following projects mentioned below should be terminated, and the funds allocated should be returned to the CityDAO treasury and, naturally, to the citizens of CityDAO.

Termination of the 3-Year Sponsorship Agreement for the RTM Project: The RTM project, which includes a three-year sponsorship agreement, should be terminated. (Approximately $10K)

Since the CityDAO hack, we have not been able to find transparent information on the progress of the project from the date we regained control of Discord until now.

Recovery of Funds Allocated to the t0wn Project: The funds allocated to the t0wn project should be recovered. (Approximately $70K)

The project Discord has been a platform where people greet each other since 04.07.2023. Additionally, the project’s X (Twitter) account posted its first and last tweet on 08.05.2023 and has shown no performance since then.

https://twitter.com/T0WNorg/status/1633250591454396417

Therefore, all “unspent” funds allocated to the projects mentioned above should be returned to the treasury and, as specified in CIP212, returned to CityDAO citizens. Additionally, if these reimbursements are not made, a lawyer will be retained on behalf of CityDAO to pursue the necessary legal processes, and investigations will be promptly initiated.

Project Budget: $20,000: Legal payments will only be made if necessary. All required payments will be shared under this forum.

NOTE : Proposal owner DO NOT ask one single cent of the budget for himself. The budget will ONLY be used for legal processes IF needed. The remaining part of the budget will be returned to the treasury without being touched.

Best regards,
sbalderson

Update : Adjusted the language as “unspent” funds.
Update : Adjusted the language for budget in the NOTE section.

35 Likes

I think this is redundant and unnecessary since it’s essentially micromanaging the liquidation process, but if this is serious and not just grandstanding then you need to adjust it to say unspent funds. It’s rediculous to ask for a refund on money already spent for projects legitimately approved by a vote.

1 Like

Well, I am open to adjusting the language as “unspent funds”.

1 Like

You opposed CIP-212 from the beginning so don’t pretend that you supported it. Your CIP is clearly written out of spite and malice. If no one wants you in leadership, which we don’t, you want to destroy everything positive.

RTM is meant to benefit the entire web3 space by providing legitimacy to DAOs, and that is exactly what it’s doing. RTM is a nonprofit. CityDAO sponsored a charity and can get a tax deduction. That money has already been spent. Re. t0wn, two days before this CIP was posted, I sent the following message to the t0wn team:

I have no problem with returning the unspent t0wn funds. However, I am only one member of that team. The rest of the members will need to vote. This is because CityDAO has no legal right to funds that were properly allocated by Snapshot vote. It makes no difference if money is “unspent”. There is no rule that says when money is given to a project it has to be spent as quickly as possible, or that the project cannot take their time to use the funds cautiously and efficiently, or else CityDAO can demand it back.

CIPs don’t give CityDAO the right to reclaim funds it doesn’t own. You might as well write a CIP to return the funds from DAOlabs, NodeBlocks, the Grants Guild or any of the other Snapshots that passed. CityDAO once gave money to a charity in Turkey after the earthquake. You might as well ask for that back, too. Ironically, if you spoke politely, there is much better chance of communication about all this.

Also, what in the world is the $20K budget for? Is your plan to sue two projects that properly received funds because they didn’t spend the money quickly enough and you’re angry about that? Talk about a waste of CityDAO’s money.

Here is a link to a detailed plan to build our app on Optimism and our proposed use case with Prospera. It is unclear if we will do the Optimism part (just a proposed idea at this point). The app is fully functional on Juicebox (see section on Understanding DACs and Github in the doc). The idea is to become a platform to raise money for public goods for network states, crypto-friendly startup cities, etc. It’s something that could have really helped CityDAO, but unfortunately, it seems CityDAO will not live to utilize it.

Despite our reduced activity on Discord (a common trend, honestly), our project remains robust. I’ve invested considerable effort into this idea, and I am confident that it aligns perfectly with the CIPs that were voted on and passed. While our spending may seem gradual, it’s important to remember that this is not a crime but a strategic approach. In the world of start-ups, people should know very little goes according to the timelines. That does not mean it is out of line with the original mission.

Anyway, please read and feel free to ask any questions.

In the past, I have signed off on returning money from the research and education guild to CityDAO. I have no problem with returning money given from CityDAO that won’t be spent on what it was initially proposed for. But t0wn is different. That money is being spent, and t0wn has always been separate from CityDAO.

I have no problem requesting the money back or following up on it. However, suggesting that we spend 20,000 dollars on a futile legal pursuit is beyond absurd.

I think this is redundant and unnecessary since it’s essentially micromanaging the liquidation process, but if this is serious and not just grandstanding then you need to adjust it to say unspent funds. It’s rediculous to ask for a refund on money already spent for projects legitimately approved by a vote. I aGREE THIS !