CIP-26 Event Sponsorship

Completely agree. Whilst it’s nice to showcase ourselves at events, I’m not sure the DAO needs exposure atm. What we need is to get our heads down and execute. Sort out the processes, charter, vision, strategy etc etc.

Everything else is a distraction and honestly, it could make us look bad to do a tonne of exposure when we don’t have the basics/fundamentals sorted out.

7 Likes

I think it’s a great idea to get @scottfits on stage at high-profile crypto events to talk about CityDAO, whether we have to pay for it or if @scottfits is on the receiving end of speaker fees =)

I do think it’s important to only show up at “good” events and generally bias towards showing up to fewer events. There are lots of shitty crypto events we could show up to in an “official capacity” that would only serve to dilute our brand. One reasonable proxy criterium would be we are willing to consider attending / sponsoring an event only if Vitalik will be there.

“I hope that this event will introduce us to people that can help us further achieve our goals of the DAO.”

This seems like the most concrete objective of sponsoring the event. Could you say more about the people you want to be introduced to? Maybe there is a more cost effective way the same thing can be accomplished.

For example, we could have a grants program for citizens to build local chapters. This seems more DAOish than having a single leader give a keynote presentation.

CityDAO is unique among DAOs in that it has a location based aspect. Let’s leverage that.

1 Like

I think we should know the event name before vote. And it is necessary to reconfirm the sponsorship with credible official channels.

that’s really important and I guess the Core had already prepared something

Okay so the event aforementioned is Blockworks, Permissionless.

We are not a traditional company for starters.

We have gotten to where we are now with a penny spent on a “traditional marketing budget”.

The “marketing budget” that we have utilised has been investing in our people.

You can gain exposure with no marketing, as we already have, so it doesnt collide in that sense.

We already have an incredible amount of exposure to people in the space.

I do agree that we should probably have some form of marketing budget.

This may be considered a “significant” % of our treasury, however, given the value of the project it is not.

I don’t want to spend 20-30k to traditionally "growth hack ", the community through traditional marketing and not do something like this as it will have a much larger effect and not come across with the same vibe as growth hacking.

This event will give us extremely organic exposure, prove our legitimacy and create a good reputation in the space.

If thats something you haven’t been able to understand and truly believe that we are doing is
as you have said, then I apologise and we’ll try to guide you to understand the project better and how much we’ve achieved already.

I also agree its important to get our heads down and execute, however this is an event happening in 6 months time.

It will almost give us something to work towards in terms of deadlines for different things (Not that we need that)

We have the ability to execute on all current processes long before then and have people working around the clock on what you have outlined

yes, yes. i’m down. let’s do this.

I can see both sides and this is healthy debate, but I think this comment made me come down on the side of yes. It’s a long time and from being at Basel I can’t overstate the value of being ‘in the mix.’ Well, to be in the mix you got to be in the mix.

1 Like

Sure, guide me then. When and where will I get some more info about “great achivment’s” that you think it’s time to expose on some big crypto event?

Please dont be mad at my words, it’s just my vision, not an attempt to piss you off. M.b. It’s because I have a lack of info, m.b. I have a lack of mind. Who knows?

But I’m preaty sure, that a lot of citizens have the same issue as me. I’m sure that a lot of votes just giving without understanding. And I’m sure as well, that this is a real problem even more serius than showing CityDAO presence in the space.

Wait I don’t understand this one. It’s the first time I’m not aligned here.

When you market something you have a clear objective and the hope for a return on investment. What do we have to gain here ? Do we care what others think of us ? Aren’t we builders ?
I for one, don’t care what the world thinks of us if we’re proud of what we do.
Let our actions speak for ourselves instead.

6 Likes

FIrst of all, I like your initiative to get something started. 2 thoughts:

1. If we payfor it then it’s not “organic” by definition.
  2. Here’s an idea so that you can be successful with your initiative. I’d suggest forming a “marketing” working group. Then petition the DAO to have control of a certain budget for the next year or something. Then you can spend the money however you want without needing to get consensus from the whole DAO like you do now.
2 Likes

I think this is a great idea because:

1. a single introduction from the conference could be worth more than the $70,000 cost over a longer time horizon

2. It’s valuable to be at the same level as top-flight web3 speakers and DAOs

3. We can test out one or several different marketing/messaging angles with a highly-engaged audience (people who travel to in-person web3 conference)

As a supporter of CIP-26, I’d like feedback on supplementing this proposal with:

1. A budget and/or process to vet and prepare the keynote. Should be memorable (memereble?) and clear and well-delivered.
  • For example, we could agree to reimburse reasonable air fare, hotel, and food, plus offer the speaker a reasonable (not excessive) payment for preparation and delivering the keynote
  • Process could be as simple as (1) asking for a couple of rough-draft proposals from those interested in giving the keynote plus (2") a process to craft messaging and vision as to content
  1. A budget and/or a process for developing and executing marketing and messaging at the booth. I think we should have a professional-quality booth that reflects well on this DAO (e.g. high-quality refreshments? freebies?) and we should use the opportunity to track high-quality feedback from thought-leaders and potential members

Miami based citizen, so would be willing to help out. Great initiative!

1 Like

This is the right answer.

We are among the very first to prove that decentralized city either can or can not work.

Ideas are worthless execution is everything, and we are pre-execution. Once we’ve managed to actually build some of the stuff we’re imagining I think we’ll have something to contribute to events like this.

To be honest I’d rather spend the money paying experts to start drafting for us so we can get closer to actual land distribution.

Our project has proved nothing until that point.

1 Like

Thank you Lyons for outlining this.

I’m aligning with those that think it’s too early for us to be at an event like this at the sponsorship level you describe. I don’t see exposure as something that we desperately need or want right now. We’ve had amazing organic growth (just mentioned in the Financial Times), and we’ve seen that pure attention can attract the wrong people. Certainly the people at this conference are generally a high level, but I think the point is still valid.

I agree in part with shrtU above, that although we have done a lot, we have not democratized land ownership yet as our mission is stated and it would be premature to signal that we’ve accomplished it. The conference is not for another few months obviously, but that still may not be enough to truly distribute something close enough to ownership.

It may not be a relatively large amount of money in the crypto world, but think $100k can be better spent on advancing our mission directly or being used with an organization/partnership that shares our values with respect to land and property.

That said, I do support marketing efforts and see their value and at times fail to see it before others. I prefer people to see the work and be impressed first. I’d be in favor of a lower level of sponsorship and buying tickets and some travel expenses for a few engaged CityDAO members to attend, but don’t believe we need a keynote session or booth. There are supposedly 6 levels of sponsorship, but I don’t see their details on the site.

• All of this is said with respect
2 Likes

Good enough for me, let’s do it

I agree with @alexthims We’re still early and doesn’t need such an exposure now. 70 K could be used for building and development now.

2 Likes