CIP-30 Create paid contributor roles

Has anyone stepped up to be legal and compliance lead?

6-8k/pax/month all paind in $ seems like a lot of money, without aligning the incentives with helping the value of the community grow. I suggest a substantial part of this is paid in a native token/NFT, with vesting.

1 Like

I agree with many of the comments, such as those of Bass_Reeves and gugz, who point out that $600K per year is a very large commitment, especially if it’s not at least partially equity based. It is important, I think, to note that if these people are being hired full-time, they are not necessarily independent contractors, but likely are employees (following the rules of Ready Mixed Concrete (South East) Ltd v Minister of Pensions and National Insurance [1968] 2 QB 497 and Lee Ting Sang v Chung Chi-Keung [1990] UKPC 9), which gives them a set of rights and includes paying taxes and possibly health care. The question, then, is whether we need 7 full-time employees and how we can verify that part-time independent contractors will not sufficiently achieve the KPIs. This would indicate we need a benchmark for the KPIs before we offer competitive salaries to achieve them.

3 Likes

I congratulate the amazing efforts of all the people who brought this project to today. I think it is really important to recognize their efforts and efforts like these should be rewarded going forward. This will create a more sustainable and healthy organization.

I would like to share two opinions. First, I believe there are very important priorities such as defining where this ‘‘Ship’’ is sailing; the purpose of this organization(mission, vision, values, etc). This will enable the creation of a sound and aligned business strategy and KPIs and this enable us to create revenue-generating projects. I think it is really important to at least know how an organization is going to generate value before creating fixed costs.

Second, I think we have to define a better description for the mayor role. This role should realize the Will of the Citizens not set the vision/mission per se. I think the current version does not fit in the spirit of a DAO. I would be happy to write a few suggestions.

1 Like

We definitely need to compensate all the hard work that everyone is putting in to keep this experiment going. I propose that we wait to see what comes out of the council charter before we vote on this. I would also want to see more detail about the roles (duration of term, specific goals to be achieved) and specific compensation for each role. These details could be defined by the council. The main concern is that we are reverting to old fashion representative democracy where we vote for centralized representatives instead of encouraging the promise of web3 which is direct democracy.

1 Like

Well in fairness I agree with you but there needs to be a captain who ensures we are complying with all applicable laws and rules, acts as a representative and bridge between the meatspace requirements and web3 community, is accountable to the citizens, serves the organization, and with a light hand guides the ship by setting deadlines and keeping projects on schedule and such.

Right now, according to the Google Doc on the snapshot, all members of the council get an equal distribution of NFTs as compensation. While the core members have a description of their contributions, there is no information on the contributions of the council members. I’m wondering if it’s possible to be more clear on the responsibilities undertaken by council members and their time put in, and whether that would influence their compensation. I raise this issue because some members were putting in a lot more time than others but all are being compensated equally.

1 Like

I provided related comments in the Charter draft notes, but CityDAO needs to be careful/clear to avoid employment. All contributors should be independent contractors and should agree to provide their services voluntarily, and agree that they acknowledge they are independent and not an employee, joint venture, partnership, and so on. In the ideal state - any payment is a reward and should be 1099’d to the independent contractor

1 Like

And contributors should also acknowledge/agree that their contributions are works made for hire under applicable copyright laws and further assigning all right title and interest in and to their contributions and any related intellectual property or proprietary rights to CityDAO. To the extent such rights cannot be assigned (like moral rights), they agree to provide an irrevocable royalty-free license in perpetuity to use the contributions and any derivatives.

Yes, I agree. I discussed these ideas earlier with the Council. I was discussing vicarious liability and the possibility of a Guild member or facilitator being viewed as an agent, whether implied or via apparent authority (unlikely it would be express, ratification or necessity). And as for the contributions, I submitted language that I had previously written for another DAO about IP rights and moral rights. Definitely relevant. Anything to avoid another Ready Made Concrete or Lee v. Chung type case.

1 Like