Parcel 0 NFT Drop Method
This CIP is a follow-on from CIP-43
*If quorum is not reached, those currently working on the Parcel 0 team will make this determination at their discretion.
CHOICE 1: Continue with current airdrop
If this option wins, plots will be distributed without any additional participation from citizens. Plots will be identified as a grid of squares across the parcel. Outstanding questions will not likely be answered.
Perhaps founding citizens get larger plots, or more plots. Matching citizens to plots is randomized.
CityDAO Cost: Est $20,000 Gas + TBD Development Cost to Complete Related Efforts and Batch Transactions
Citizen Cost: $0
CHOICE 2: Other Options TBD
This choice is a decision to suspend the current mint efforts, and instead spend additional time and effort exploring and evaluating options for Parcel 0. Select this choice if you believe we need to look at additional utility and ensure that NFT holders are granted the broadest rights related to Parcel 0. The approach to how this happens may look much different than current proposals. If you want to “Just drop the NFT and be done with it” then choose one of the above options instead.
A variety of ideas for this have been proposed, including:
- Allowing citizens to select a desired plot location within the parcel
- Coming up with novel methods for defining plot sizes and shapes
- Considering features of the land prior to defining plots, to allow for a potential IRL AR experience
- Clarifying expectations and legalities related to NFT ownership, including commercial rights within the metaverse
- Exploring ways to reduce or eliminate costs associated with a Parcel 0 NFT
The cost of this choice is variable and could range anywhere from saving money, to free/$0, to very expensive, depending on which paths are chosen. This choice is expected to extend the amount of time to completion by an unknown duration which depends on the amount of complexity participating citizens would like, but it could extend the process by weeks-months.
Choice 2 Cost Estimates:
- If we choose to recognize Parcel 0 holding as a part of CityDAO citizenship, there would be no costs, and we would also save the gas fees for this distribution
- If we wanted to allow the option to merge Parcel 0 attributes with Citizenship NFT’s, additional costs for Parcel 0 would be minimal, and we would also save the gas fees for this distribution
- If we choose a very involved mechanism for selecting parcels, with a complicated way of allocating parcels (such as with something like a custom built Voronoi Growth Euclidian), costs could range from volunteers wanting to explore this, to significant costs if we had to compensate developers to implement such a thing
- There will be additional costs if we are to consider IRL land features prior to allocating plots
While we recognize that there is limited value in Parcel 0 as physical land, the belief is that there is much more that we can do with the property as it relates to CityDAO. If this option wins, you are voting to support a new Parcel 0 project. The goal will be to expand what is possible with the parcel before plots are distributed.
This option also allows for the possibility of creating an ERC-721 style token with modifiable metadata that can be dropped now, to be updated later. This will keep us on track for making Parcel 0 happen as announced, but as a hollow shell that will need to be updated later, leaving the door open for more complex selection of plots.
There are possible variants here, but the concept is that citizens would have a say in where the plot that they receive is located. Say, a clickable interface, where every citizen can choose a point on the map, or maybe just submit their desired X,Y coordinates. Once all desired locations have been identified, something like a Voronoi Growth Euclidean determines the exact size and location of everyone’s plots (@alexthims). Less populated (rural) areas get larger plots, more populated (urban) areas get smaller plots. Bonus: We could incorporate a delayed reveal function where citizens select the location without knowing where anyone else selected, and the plots are only shown after all coordinates are submitted. The voronoi growth could even occur while the selection is ongoing, so early participants could be rewarded with larger plots (and founding citizens could get a head start or have faster growing Euclidian).
Beyond the plot selection process, there are other aspects we could explore such as the incorporation of AR (@slyRacoon23) in which case we would need to consider the physical properties of the land, and establish IRL walkable pathways thought the land prior to setting boundaries for the NFT’s.