I'm building a tool to make it easier to know what's going on in CityDAO

Hi everyone,

I’m a long time member in CityDAO, mostly a lurker, but I’ve also had a successful CIP for work in the past.

One of the challenges I’ve faced is keeping up-to-date with what’s going on as I’m not on Discord 24/7.

To help solve this, I’ve built a tool for CityDAO projects, and would love some feedback. It’s not a replacement for the Discord/Forum, but would provide a 3rd space to track all the projects and tasks teams are working on in the DAO.

You can see it here: CityDAO - Macro

See which projects are live:

The square boxes show the project status over the last 5 weeks, with grey boxes if the team hasn’t posted an update that week.

Every project has a homepage with a GitHub style readme:

Tasks are supported:

With subtasks and comments:

And it also supports GitHub style issues/threads to ask the project team questions and give feedback:

Few, ok that’s a lot! Anyway, I’d love to improve the product and make it more useful.

• Can you see this being useful?
  • What would you change/add to make it better for CityDAO?

Thanks.

6 Likes

I think it’d be very useful, great work so far. Enforcing it’s use (through penalty or incentive) is probably the biggest hurdle I see.

3 Likes

Agreed, I think this would be very useful, the trick will be getting project teams to update this consistently. Can you say more about how the updates would happen operationally? Each project team would get login information to udpate their page? Is their any oversight on what people put on it?

A few other thoughts:

1. In the all updates page, the list of updates should also show which project they belong to.

2. In general I like the simplified look and feel, but it does feel like a lot of this could be done in notion. The CityDAO homepage still takes you to an old notion link, but take a look at this one that was developed a while back, that sets up a structure for projects and tasks.

3 Likes

Thanks both for the replies!

Enforcing it’s use (through penalty or incentive) is probably the biggest hurdle I see.

Yep. It’s kind of the same at the moment, where project updates are a bit infrequent.

Can you say more about how the updates would happen operationally? Each project team would get login information to udpate their page? Is there any oversight on what people put on it?

Yes. Everyone would have a login, and team members/admins would be able to update their project info and post updates. I don’t think there would be any extra oversight, certainly not more than we have on the Discord. Of course admins could delete bad content/ban people if they were out of line.

1. In the all updates page, the list of updates should also show which project they belong to.

At the moment, that’s shown by the project icon/emoji. E.g. Baby for Baby parcel etc. Maybe this isn’t clear enough though.

1. In general I like the simplified look and feel, but it does feel like a lot of this could be done in notion. The CityDAO homepage still takes you to an old notion link, but take a look at this one that was developed a while back, that sets up a structure for projects and tasks.

This absolutely can be done in Notion. One strength of Notion is how flexible/powerful it is, however I think it can also be a weakness. E.g. It can easily become a mess or very inconsistent between projects. It’s also easy to create complex database setups which look good at the start but become a mess later on.

With Macro, I wanted to keep it simple and enforce a common structure. So every project has the same layout, and the same info. With Notion I think we had a whole team to manage it, with Macro the teams can easily manage their own projects.

2 Likes

Update. I’m still working on this. I haven’t been able to make the last couple of community calls but will be there this week to discuss and answer any questions.

In the meantime, I’ve added a project update for t0wn referencing the latest snapshot: Re-allocating funds for Stage 1 - Macro.

Love this concept.

2 Likes

Ok, so I wanted to take some of the feedback into account for a possible design update.

Key changes:

• adding milestones
  • adding budget (ideally taken live from on-chain data)
  • dark mode (because crypto stuff is always dark :smile:)
  • other minor design tweaks

As a reminder, the main goal of this is to help anyone quickly understand a project in the DAO:

• what are the key links?
  • who’s involved?
  • are things on track?

Let me know what you think!

ps. Thank you to everyone who has given feedback so far (here and on discord :heart:).

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Quick update on this. After discussing with multiple people, it doesn’t seem like there is strong demand for this kind of product so I’m pausing development for now.

Will revisit / re-evaluate in future. Thanks for everyone who gave feedback and ideas!