CIP 207: CityDAO Compute - Build a GPU Cluster in Wyoming

great idea!

my concern is the management cost. Do we offload to a company to help with construction?

1 Like

Well said and straight to the point.
I personally like the project as I have been thinking of doing something of this sort in my home country (with lots of access to hydropower and green energy).

And as much as it gets me excited, I need to know and be sure that this initiative benefits the DAO and its holder. I support rewarding Scott for his efforts, but I would like more clarity about the deal terms, deal structuring, and transparency.
CityDAO should function as a Decentralized Corporate.

Btw, it’s been so long since I followed any developments here and this piqued my interest. But I still don’t know what happened with our treasury, what we agreed to invest in, what is CityDAO’s Balance Sheet & PnL, etc.

I have been building my startup of bringing tokenized RWA on chain, and all that experience has made me have this balanced approach to having strict OKRs and OSGPs to execute, measure success, and be aligned.

Yes, we would hire vendors to assemble, provision, and maintain the GPUs. I outlined some of those costs here.

I honestly don’t see how this relates toor benefits the citizens of CityDAO and 600K seems like a pretty large ask and alot of money to risk on what seems to be an unrelated project

1 Like

Cool to see progress on real world use cases, thanks!

Few questions:

1. Can Citizens get a free quota and discounted compute access? I do wonder how core this is to the City DAO mission…

2. How will governance work around the project?

3. Wonder if it would be worthwhile to document a dissolution plan, should anything change that leads to the best option being shutting down the project?

Curious to learn what other ideas you think would be worth exploring, and would be happy to help with proposals around anything with a strong community gathering intention

I proposed the Idea of Forming an unincorporated community through subdividing a large parcel based on a Master Plan utilizing Ground Leases with CCRs and grants to restrict and incentive development

Think of it as a more formal Burning Man in terms of City Planning & Development

A good idea, but not that good if it goes this way.
Here’s my opinoin:
1 - All citydao nft should participate in monthly profit sharing.
2 - All citydao nft’s marketcap is $2million approximately.
3 - Those hardwares and accompanying values ​​can serve as value support of citydao nft.
4 - If all these go well, the nft’s MC will go up and the treasury will increase. CityDAO can do more things with more funds.
Just some rough points, there are many places that can be optimized.

As has been said repeatedly in the Discord, we NEVER engage in profit sharing or dividends. The Citizenship NFT is a utility token. The utility is voting on CIPs on snapshot. CityDAO exists to experiment with decentralized governance of assets on chain. The comment regarding “benefits to holders” from @aranella.eth has a similar response. The benefit of the Citizen NFT is the utility of being part of this DAO and voting, not getting any monetary return whatsoever. The price may go up, the price may go down, that’s what prices do, but as a matter of law we do not give profit distributions.

I don’t think it a web3 project if it goes this way.
And, i don’t know why people in web3 would give attention to it.
Supported CityDAO from the very beginning as it aims to connect web3 and web2, but it seems to be more web2 right now.
Citizens get a free NFT does not mean it’s web3 style. If we really want to make CityDAO go longer and further, we should use more web3 way to benefit its web2 ambition.

1 Like

This project can only be realised after the LLC is shut down. Although the idea is good, it is incomplete. We have a company and American rules that will constantly cause us problems. Unless we evolve into a project that will contribute to the citizens, we will be a structure formed just to build for nothing , like CityDAO.

Who benefits from not closing the LLC?

1 Like

CityDAO is a legal entity. I believe that the future of the DAO space will be regulated, just like crypto ultimately will be. Any project that acts without following laws, regulations and tax codes will probably not last very long. Any project that serves only to make the holders money is like a stock. It seems you are describing a typical company that pays dividends but imagining that it would magically not have to follow the law because someone uses the word “web3”. The law doesn’t care how you describe yourself. It cares what you do. I believe the entire DAO space benefits from having organizations that are careful, cautious, legal and follow the regulations of the country where they are incorporated. However, someone who just wants dividends wouldn’t benefit. They should go buy stock. This is meant to benefit society, not a “shareholder”.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure the economics of this vs crypto but I assume it’s more economical.

Here’s an idea. Why don’t we move it to your country and use your real name and then see if you still care about following the law.

Hi everyone!

Could someone explain me the math of 300 GPUs = 375 rigs *$18,000 per rig

I mean how qty of rigs could be more than qty of GPUs?

I have a small farm of 18 GPUs and only 3 rigs total. 1 rig = 6 GPU in stack

And tbh the idea is quite risky.

No, not just quite, but highly risky and have totaly optimistc calculation with stable revenue.

It’s more like long and hard play rather than “12 month till profit” plan.

Is this statment true? “Governance could not be crossed with comunity profit?”

The benefit of the Citizen NFT is the utility of being part of this DAO and voting, not getting any monetary return whatsoever.

What is the purpose of voting? Pure experiments? Then what is the enpoint utility? Why should anyone be involved in voting? What for? So many questions tbh.

I dont want to be rude, but from that perpective the reason of DAO existing is to support local Wayoming buisnesses for longer time.

CityDAO’s stated mission is to experiment with decentralized governance of land on chain. CityDAO happens to be incorporated in Wyoming, but hundreds of multinational corporations are incorporated in Delaware. They don’t only do business in Delaware. Businesses incorporated in the Seychelles don’t only do business in the Seychelles. CityDAO was incorporate in Wyoming because of their novel, progressive DAO law, not because this supports local businesses in Wyoming.

The purpose of voting is to see what we can do to forward our mission. Yes, it’s an experiment. One aspect of utility is seeing how decentralized governance can benefit society and the world. This is not an investment vehicle. It provides no monetary return or dividends and it likely never will. However, part of our mission is to sustain CityDAO. A CIP like the present one seeks to provide a return to the DAO treasury so that we have more funds to vote on and experiment with.

Yes, indeed, I think I have projected some of my perosnal problems to the DAO.

I have not participate in the discussions for the long time, almost 2 years.

And the last thing that I’ve remember is that misson of CityDAO as an experiment was building of the “City on chain”. As I remember that was the purpouse of the bought land. Maybe I miss something or forget something.

The first thing that I’ve saw after checking my discord was that the DAO hacked (it was not the first time as I remember), and after restoring control the first porposal is to buy some cards, rent some place to hold it there and get some huge profit of 170 dollars per card to generate DAO’s income without any details in the calculations.

So, am I right that we have moved from City-on-chain idea to pure experimentation without any clear mission?

4 Likes

And yes, the mission statment is still on the front page of CityDAO website.

And yes, maybe I do not understand the “crypto city of the future” definition, tbh.

So, I bag my pardon if I’m asking ipropriate things.